Axels World of Crap™
Pride and Prejudice Omfg
Axels World of Crap™
Pride and Prejudice Omfg
Axels World of Crap™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official 'Axel's World of Crap™' message board.

Main SiteHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Having a hard time navigating our forum? Go HERE for our site map!
Just registered, but not sure what to do next? Go HERE!
Axel's World of Crap™️ is now hiring staff for the forum! If you think you've got what it takes to be a Moderator, Reviewer, or a Tutor then go read the recruitment thread located HERE!
- Don't forget to visit our official site!
What's Axel doing at the moment? Find out HERE!
Join us on Facebook!

Pride and Prejudice

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MandaNoel07
The Saucy Manager
The Saucy Manager
MandaNoel07

Female Pisces Snake

Pride and Prejudice Empty
PostSubject: Pride and Prejudice   Pride and Prejudice Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 3:39 pm

I absolutely love the classics. "Pride and Prejudice," by Jane Austin is my favorite. I absolutely love this book. I've read it about six times, and it is also the book that inspired my love of English literature.

The book itself is a love story. It tells of Ms. Elizabeth Bennett's search for a husband. A rich noble named, Mr. Darcy, comes to visit the town Eliza lives in with his friends, Mr. Bingley, Mr. and Mrs. Hurst (Bingley's sister and brother-in-law) and Ms. Bingley (Mr. Bingley's other sister, who has a wicked crush on Mr. Darcy). In their first meeting Mr. Darcy makes a terrible offense to Elizabeth. It was then that her prejudice against the man began.

Elizabeth thought that Mr. Darcy was arrogant and conceited. It was this belief that allowed her to harbor such ill feelings towards him when she meets Mr. Wickham. This character is completely absurd, but crucial to the plot. Wickham accuses Darcy of terrible things, and Elizabeth beliefs him. However, what she doesn't know is that while she is harboring this prejudice against Mr. Darcy, he in turn, is fighting with his pride as a nobleman. He has began to become entranced by the woman who is "below him."

It really is an excellent book. I would suggest it to any and all. It is wordy at certain parts, but none the less an excellent novel for those who enjoy reading and a good romance.
Back to top Go down
phonet
Baby
Baby
phonet

Female Taurus Rabbit

PostSubject: Re: Pride and Prejudice   Pride and Prejudice Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 9:16 am

To be honest with you, I absolutely despise Jane Austen. I even thought Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was boring. Not that there's anything wrong with liking them I'm just too ADHD to read a Classic Romance. Or like a romance in general.

I guess it has to do with the fact that Austen, like most authoresses of the time, were forcibly condemned to only writing "women's literature" and any woman who wrote anything outside of that was generally considered to insight scandal unless they were someone like Mary Shelly and that's only because she was "married" to Percy. Just look at what happened to Kate Chopin and that was almost 90 years after Austen.

From that time period I much prefer the works of the later Goethe and the German Naturalists because I am weird or something.
Back to top Go down
http://phonet.deviantart.com
Denial
Mouth Vacuum
Mouth Vacuum
Denial

Male Cancer Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Pride and Prejudice   Pride and Prejudice Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 9:47 am

I always found Austen to be a talented writer. For the time, she had a strong sense of how things worked and how she percieved various types of people always interested me greatly. Although, I do agree with phonet that her works were aimed at a women-only audience and therefore were more 'flighty' that my tastes dictate, I think they are at least worth one read. It's just a shame she never got a chance to finish Sanditon.

As for Pride and Predudice, after all that's what we are supposed to be discussing, I found it one of her bests. I admit though to preferring the TV adaptation with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, but the book sort of did the job of filling in the gaps for me. Darcy and Mary are without a doubt my two favorite charcters. Darcy for his snobbish elegance and Mary for her obvious intelligence that always seemed to be shunned.
Back to top Go down
SRV
Fakely Banned
SRV

Male Taurus Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Pride and Prejudice   Pride and Prejudice Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 10:14 am

Pride and Prejudice is a very good book.I can't say it is one I adore,although I have read it more than once.I am making this post for my sister who likes it very much.

The relationship between Darcy and Wickham (whose name I had forgotten until I read Manda's post XD)is very ingeniously structured.The way both the characters are so apart even after having a string which ties their lives together is one of the mentionable points here.Also Austen had created the character of Elizabeth's mother in a remarkable way as she was at the core of the troubles befalling the family when the youngest daughter(forgot her name lol) eloped with Wickham.

A good book to start with on Austen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/nutshell
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pride and Prejudice   Pride and Prejudice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pride and Prejudice
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Axels World of Crap™ :: Members :: General Chat :: Books-
Jump to: